ART of PERSUASION in the CLIMATE of 2020
By Diane Harris
Here are points I used… and at the end is a part of how I implemented some of it.
- Choosing the words we use wisely. Some can trigger a negative response.
- Emphasizing Your Passion while not discounting theirs.
- Letting them know you Love them… and how they choose to Vote will not change that.
- Relating an experience, you had that you believe they would similarly agree with you on.
- Advising that you are not having this conversation to change their mind per se… however you are having this conversation to give them information to look at and to come to their own conclusion which may actually agree with yours.
- You advise them … You will never bully them ever… nor should they you.. That is the True meaning of Freedom of Speech, as long as the Free Speech is not Hateful Speech or said with Anger.
- Giving suggestions of sites that may give them a different prospective… however again .. emphasizing …Not looking to change your mind…. Just want to put it out there as a part of your decision making by utilizing critical thinking.
- Ask that they take the emotion of how they feel about a candidate’s personality out of the deciding factor of how they will cast their vote. This way they are truly looking at what PROMISES were MADE, and which PROMISES were KEPT.
- When choosing a friend or family member to have this discussion with go to the one that holds the most influence regarding their opinions. This way hopefully you will be able to flip more than just one if they end up agreeing with what you have presented.
- You can also note when speaking to that person… I know a lot of people look up to you to be of an open mind…
- Interject that you LOVE this Nation, and you feel it is your American Duty to Protect the Constitution. Because as it should be.. it is every Americans Responsibility to Protect Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness to all who are BLESSED to BE CALLED AMERICAN.
For me this started with a “YUGE” pit in my stomach….
THEN I PRAYED… I prayed that I would come up with the perfect words to articulate the passion of the importance of what I felt in my heart needed to be said…
Next I dialed the number…. granted I don’t often call that number…so there was somewhat of a level of… What’s Up? Just wanted to see how you are doing.
We shared some small talk that related to daily life and how elected officials’ actions can destroy your life when it comes to things like estate taxes and private property rights.
I mentioned I had been involved with Door Knocking when I could during the Primary Election for my friends run to be our next U.S. Congressman. Talking to strangers I developed a confidence of persuasion accompanied with my passion to convince them to vote for my friend. And with that and the whole Teams determination he will now be our next U.S. Congressman.
I then preceded to say… I have been wanting to talk to you for quite a while.. However, I didn’t want to stir anything up… I needed to get this off my chest so I could move on. I said just hear me out.. I’m not doing this to argue.. I’m just presenting info and you can do with it as you choose.
Then I ask if you have heard of the Walkaway Campaign?? No can’t say that I have.
I say if you have some time I’d like you to look at www.WalkawayCampaign.com
Look at the Video Testimonials…Because in my mind the Democrat Party of today truly no longer represents the Party of JFK and I would think you could agree with me on that.
I also mentioned how I had watched every speech of the RNC Convention as it played on C-SPAN so I could catch every word without interruption. The speeches were short and concise and uplifting. They represented all walks of life and how the policies of President Trump enhanced their lives and in many cases saved their lives. Honestly for me it was riveting, and I think you would be impressed on how well it was produced.
If you go to this link https://www.c-span.org/convention/?party=rnc&day=1598241600
Each Day of the RNC Convention has the list of who spoke so you can easily click through to find ones you may be interested in for their personal, genuine and heartfelt viewpoint of President Trump.
While I enjoyed probably 99% of the speeches, one of my favorites was Ja’ Ron Smith Deputy Assistant to the President on Day 4 at 838p.. Ja’ Ron is a black man who gives insight on what he knows to be true of President Trump.
I said I watch a majority of the Presidents press conferences and I follow his Twitter feed this way I keep up with what he is actually doing and who he is helping. I hear all of what he says.. not one line that the press needs to take out of context to perpetuate the constant hate.
During the lock down a lot of Americans were listening to the Presidents Daily briefings and then later in the evening hear reporting on the President to be not at all what the President had said earlier..
The JIG was up.
So, with that I continued.. What else had THEY the “FAKE NEWS” been telling you?
THEY say he is an Anti-Semite.. How can that be True? His Son- in- law Jared Kushner is Jewish as well as his daughter Ivanka and many others in his Administration.
THEY say he is Homophobic.. How can that be true? The President named Richard Grenell as acting Director of National Intelligence. This would be the first openly gay person to hold a U.S. Cabinet level position.
When THEY say he is Racist. How can that be True? The President’s actions and efforts noted here reflect completely opposite to that.
The President worked with Senator Tim Scott of S.C. and many others on both sides of the aisle inside and outside of government to pass the FIRST STEP ACT a Victory for Criminal Justice Reform.
The President designated OPPORTUNITY ZONES created by the TAX CUTS and JOBS ACT of 2017 allowing for certain investments in lower income areas to have tax advantages.
The President secured permanent Funding for HBCU, Historically Black Colleges and Universities.
The President has detailed the ‘Platinum Plan’’ to help Black businesses and communities.
The President has denounced hate groups including the KKK and Antifa and designated both as Terrorists Organizations.
Did you know that the President with the assistance of Jarod Kushner and others helped to broker Peace Deals in the Middle East by actually using a NEW approach “economy” and signed the Abraham Accords Peace Agreement between Israel and the United Arab Emirates and Israel and Bahrain? On top of that there was also a Peace Agreement with Serbia and Kosovo. The President has received a third nomination for the Nobel Peace Prize. Were you aware of that?
Do you know why you are seeing Big Pharma Ads against President Trump? It’s because the President has ordered FAVORED NATION status for Drug Prices.. So, come Jan. 1, 2021 when it goes into effect we will be getting our drugs at the low prices that other nations already have been getting them at.. Insulin particularly will be way down in price.
These are things I believe you would want to know to make an informed decision.. Remember there is a difference between a Reporter and Opinion Journalist.. It’s FACTS -v- AGENDA.. i.e. Propaganda. That is why.. there is constant hating on the President. Notice the talking points when you move around the stations.
I could go on and on with the Presidents accomplishments over this past 4 years.. heck I have a list of 123 and that doesn’t even cover all of it.
I proceed to say.. I have said my peace.. and I am sorry if my voice got elevated from time to time.. It wasn’t meant to be aimed at you. I just tend to get that way when I am so passionate about our Country and our Freedoms.. I truly am emotional to tears at times…
She says that’s fine I can tell you needed to say this.
She proceeds to say.. I feel I am an opened minded person, and I will look into the things you have mentioned.
I say thank you and you don’t know how much it means to me that you are willing to do that.
I say either way I LOVE YOU and that will never change.
Now granted she could have gone ballistic after hanging up… lol..
It’s all good… when we at least make the effort we can rest easy.. Tone is everything.. I was fortunate she listened patiently and without interruption.. It helped me to stay focused.
However, if you happen to have an adverse reaction.. Just state.. I really am not saying this to argue.. I am saying it to just ask you to look at it .. That is all. Love you no matter what.
May God Bless You with Courage and a Calm Voice.
May God Bless America and Her People
May God Bless and Protect President Trump
Our president and his administration have done more for people of faith in three years than any other president in our lifetimes. In a prior guest column on Feb. 27, 2017, I wrote that “People of faith finally have a friend again in the White House. Persecution will end. Religious liberty will be protected again.” As widely reported, people of faith helped elect our president and vice president in 2016, and they will help re-elect them in 2020. There are for two primary reasons, the first is that we have an administration that for the first time in our history is totally engaged in faith issues.
- President Trump is championing religious freedom! Since taking office, President Trump has tasked his administration with doing everything it can to protect our “first right” as citizens. For National Religious Freedom Day on Jan. 16th, the president took another important step to safeguard our religious liberties. Read President Trump’s Proclamation for Religious Freedom Day, 2020.
- President Trump appointed former Governor Sam Brownback, as Ambassador-at-Large for International Religious Freedom. He serves as our spokesman for oppressed religious minorities
- President Trump has nominated and had confirmed 187 conservative judges so far, including two to the US Supreme Court. All were selected because of their commitment to interpreting the Constitution and the laws according to the original meaning of the words. These actions are of tremendous benefit for generations to come, for they help ensure that laws must be made by elected legislators who are accountable to “we the people.”
- President Trump declared Jan. 22nd as National Sanctity of Human Life Day.” This administration supports life; and is actively engaged in actions to defund the Planned Parenthood abortion mill. President Trump will be the first president to speak in person at this year’s March for Life.
- President Trump supports and champions Israel. He boldly did what President Obama would not do; he recognized Jerusalem as the capital and moved our embassy there.
- We judge a tree by its fruit and this tree is producing good fruit for all people of faith.
- The second reason that people of faith will get involved and will turn out and vote in record numbers to re-elect the president is the clear recognition of what it would mean to lose the election.
- America would again enter the downward spiral toward socialism with the erosion of religious liberty and our freedoms of worship. Nations who have embraced socialism have seen churches wither and close and a sharp increase in persecution of people of faith. The attacks on priests and the sharp rise in anti-Semitism in France and the UK are grim reminders.
• New York Democrats passed a law allowing infanticide and many blue states are now trying to copy.
- Democrats have taken the mention of God totally out of their party platform, and they would continue their agenda to marginalize God and people of faith given total control.
- In states controlled by the left, persecution of people of faith is increasing. Many do not want Florida to become another California, or New York, or worse.
In a recent article in Breakpoint, Joseph Backholm discussed the oft-misunderstood notion of the “separation of church and state.” “First, the “separation of church and state” isn’t in the Constitution. It’s Thomas Jefferson’s paraphrase of the First Amendment, which he included in a letter to Baptists in Connecticut — who feared government intrusion into their faith. Which leads to the second point: The “separation of church and state” is meant to protect the church from the state.
”The “religious left” condemn and despise our president despite his unequaled accomplishments, and they attack and persecute his supporters. They would rather have an administration that openly rejects God, marginalizes people of faith, and supports infanticide! Yes, the president is a sinner. So was King David and so was the apostle Paul, but God used them to accomplish His purposes.
The noted theologian Wayne Grudem, author of “Systematic Theology,” responded to a recent attack by the religious left on the president and summed it up succinctly in an article on Dec 30, 2019 in Townhall, when he wrote: “I prefer freedom. I agree with our Declaration of Independence that liberty is an “unalienable right” that has been bestowed on us by our Creator. I’ll vote again for Trump.”
Many faith leaders from the religious left have no inhibitions about sharing their positions on liberal issues and against conservatives both in print and from their pulpits.
President Trump and Vice President Pence will be re-elected in 2020. People of faith and leaders of the conservative faith community will not be intimidated, and they will not be silent. They recognize all that has been accomplished for all people of faith by this administration and they will continue to stand-up and speak-up to preserve our religious freedom and liberty.
E.J. Claire is a resident of Lake Placid and the Republican State Committeeman for Highlands County. Guest columns are the opinion of the writer, not necessarily that of the Highlands News-Sun. January 26, 2020
State Representative Bob Rommel released his first campaign ad of the general election cycle, reflecting on President Ronald Reagan‘s leadership and accomplishments, as well as the fight to end socialism.
The 30-second spot, titled “Reagan,” shows the Naples Republican discussing his admiration for the former president as he parallels Reagan’s fight against socialism with the new “Democratic socialism” adopted by the political left.
“You know, I love Ronald Reagan. He did win the Cold War, but the fight against socialism goes on — this time against the Democratic Party taken over by the radical left,” Rommel says in the ad.
“They burn down our cities and blame the police. They shred our Constitution and they destroy our free markets,” he continues. “And the only wall they tear down is the one protecting America.”
With the country still dealing with violent protests and a movement to “Defund the police,” Rommel said Americans must reject such radical ideas in order to preserve the nation and re-establish the rule of law.
“Since 1919, the United States has been fighting against socialism and communism, and now Democrats are campaigning around the nation on the idea of ‘Democratic socialism.’ It’s never worked anywhere before and taking away people’s individual liberties certainly won’t work either,” Rommel said following the release of the ad.
“The choice is clear: either you believe in protecting individual liberties and free-market principles, or you believe in socialism.”
Rommel, who has represented Florida’s 106th District since 2016, has carved out a reputation of being a legislator who champions small businesses and fights to lower taxes for consumers across the state. He has also fought for tax cuts and reform, spending reform, regulatory reform, and lawsuit reform.
He will be taking on Democratic challenger Sara McFadden on Nov. 3.
Rommel won the race in HD 106 over McFadden with almost 67% of the vote in 2018.